Researching the geological context for your archaeological survey is essential.
- What processes (glaciation fault lines) led to the landscape you are exploring, how did this influence settlement patterns?
- Were mineral deposits (such as coal or iron ore) or quarry stone used in the area/period you are researching?
- How did soil formation effect (light soils sandy soils easier to plough ) land use?
- How drainage/hydrology effect farming/fishing and transport routes.
- Will the surface geology effect geophysical survey surveys?